Local News

Kerosene heater causes fire at Wendell home

Posted November 7, 2010

Map Marker  Find News Near Me

Map

— Wendell firefighters said that a kerosene heater started a fire that destroyed a mobile home Sunday morning.

Capt. Steve Rowe said that a man and woman escaped unharmed from the fire at 6501 Riley Hill Road, Lot D.

The man, who is homeless, and his friend had been given permission from the owner to stay at the home, Rowe said. There was no power hooked up to the home, and they fell asleep with the heater running.

No charges were filed in connection with the fire.

2 Comments

This story is closed for comments.

Oldest First
View all
  • carlostheass Nov 8, 2010

    I grew up around kerosene heaters (my parents still use their first after thirty years) and still use one for additional heat. What's dangerous about them is a) buying a poorly-made heater, b) letting them run out of fuel, and c) some people run other fuels than kerosene through them, which is a major no-no.

    A well-built, properly maintained kerosene heater doesn't smell while operating and is safe to use...much like a fireplace.

  • frankbad15 Nov 8, 2010

    Those heaters are dangersous... I remember those days.