Local News

Jury selection begins in case of slain 83-year-old Durham man

Posted April 21, 2014

Map Marker  Find News Near Me

— Jury selection will begin at 10 a.m. Monday in the trial against a man accused of killing an 83-year-old man three years ago in Durham.

Robert Wilkerson is one of three people charged in the April 2010 murder of George Pratt. Police said the trio carjacked the man on his birthday and shot him twice in the leg. He died two months later.

Wilkerson pleaded not guilty last year. Leryan Scarlett is also charged with murder in the case, and Sharell Roberson is charged with felony accessory after the fact and filing a false police report.

Pratt's family said they've known Scarlett his entire life.

“It’s tough,” said Linwood Johnson, a Pratt family friend. “Who would do this? Why? What is the reason? Someone that age – why would you do that.”

Prosecutors said Scarlett is expected to testify against Wilkerson.
 

Comments

This story is closed for comments.

Oldest First
View all