Local News

Judge won't dismiss case against man charged with threat to Raleigh mayor

Posted June 4

Alec Dane Redner appears in a Wake County courtroom March 3, 2014, for a bond hearing on charges that he threatened Raleigh Mayor Nancy McFarlane.

— The man accused of threatening Raleigh Mayor Nancy McFarlane has been denied a request to have his case dropped, according to court documents filed Tuesday.

Alec Dane Redner was indicted March 17 on a federal charge of communicating a threat against an individual for allegedly sending McFarlane a message through her website. According to police, Redner told her to “watch out” and that she would soon be “on the other end of the barrel” over comments she supposedly made about the U.S. Constitution.

His attorney, John Wiles, filed a motion to dismiss the charge, saying Redner’s message was political statement and not a “true threat” of violence. He said prosecuting Redner would violate his First Amendment right to free speech.

But Judge Terrence W. Boyle said Redner’s message doesn’t meet the legal standard for dismissal, so the case will go to a jury.

“There is nothing in the nature of the communication to reveal that it was made in jest, and the communication was sent directly to its intended recipient via her website,” Boyle wrote in the court order.
 

13 Comments

This story is closed for comments. Comments on WRAL.com news stories are accepted and moderated between the hours of 8 a.m. and 8 p.m. Monday through Friday.

Oldest First
View all
  • Jump1 Jun 6, 3:54 p.m.

    Judge needs to read his law books again, this action is not a threat according to the elements of the law as written. He could have been telling her to watch out for any other problems around her, she could have slipped.

  • sandim50 Jun 4, 6:32 p.m.

    I do not see it as a threat of violence. I think his free speech rights have been violated. No proof of intent to harm. Pure polotics here

  • dirtydozen431 Jun 4, 3:24 p.m.

    There have been specific death threats to NC Republican legislators but why no coverage.

  • umop apisdn Jun 4, 3:16 p.m.

    Thanks judge. We have greater issues to solve. Like a first degree murder that happen in Siler... View More

    — Posted by 678devilish

    I'm pretty sure that a federal judge isn't going to be out looking for a murder suspect.

  • Huey Jun 4, 2:42 p.m.

    Judge is right. This guy is dangerous.

  • ncprr1 Jun 4, 2:42 p.m.

    Lock this guy up before he hurts someone. Right wing extremists such as these are the biggest... View More

    — Posted by Super Hans

    Holder is as bad as any of Obama's other pals that he just release from Gitmo earlier this week. You stay home and hide from those scary Tea Party families though. We'll let you know when it's safe to come out.

  • 678devilish Jun 4, 2:22 p.m.

    Thanks judge. We have greater issues to solve. Like a first degree murder that happen in Siler City eary Sunday morning. People are talking but there are no arrest. Why?

  • Raleigh Rocks 1 Jun 4, 1:52 p.m.

    Lock this guy up before he hurts someone. Right wing extremists such as these are the biggest... View More

    — Posted by Super Hans

    You threaten me by saying that.

  • Raleigh Rocks 1 Jun 4, 1:51 p.m.

    Then we should dimiss the Mayor.

  • Atheistinafoxhole Jun 4, 1:45 p.m.

    Lock this guy up before he hurts someone. Right wing extremists such as these are the biggest... View More

    — Posted by Super Hans

    Almost as scary as Holder lying about knowing anything about the Fast and Furious operation that... View More

    — Posted by allenmga

    You forgot this:

    "Operation Fast and Furious was one of the operations under Project Gunrunner, part of the Department of Justice's broader Southwest Border Initiative, an "inter-agency effort to combat Mexico-based trafficking groups." (DOJ)"

    And this: " Timeline: April 2006 - Official launch of Project Gunrunner."

    Now it all makes sense.

More...