Judge: Lawsuit over Clinton student's strip-search can proceed
Posted September 11, 2013
Clinton, N.C. — A federal judge has denied a request from Sampson County Schools to dismiss a lawsuit alleging a strip-search conducted on a third-grader last year violated the boy's rights.
U.S. Magistrate William Webb said the suit filed by Justin Cox's parents can proceed, suggesting that the search by a former assistant principal was too intrusive.
Justin, a student at Union Elementary School, was ordered to take off everything but his T-shirt and boxer shorts in June 2012 after a girl accused him of taking $20.
Clarinda Cox said her son, who was 10 at the time, told her that a girl dropped the money in the cafeteria and that he picked it up and gave it back to her.
The assistant principal, Teresa Holmes, said in a statement that several other students, as well as two teachers, told her that the money was missing and that they had seen Justin dive under the lunchroom table for it.
After the strip-search turned up no money, the missing $20 was found on the floor.
Holmes has since retired.