Johnston shooting suspect allowed out on bond
Posted August 16, 2011
Pine Level, N.C. — A Pine Level man accused of killing a lifelong friend last November is out on bond awaiting his trial. A spokesman for the Johnston County Clerk of Superior Courts said Stefan Gudac had to agree to a curfew, can't have any guns and can't leave the state while his case is pending.
Gudac called 911 on Nov. 27, 2010, and told an operator that he shot Devin Barber, 20, of Smithfield, after Barber refused to leave Gudac’s home, at 417 E. Pine St. in Pine Level.
In the call, the man, who identified himself as Gudac, detailed Barber's wounds. ”He’s got a stomach wound, and it looks like a neck wound – a graze wound on the neck,” he says. “He’s just got a wound – it looks like it’s right below his trachea.”
Gudac, 23, is charged with first-degree murder. His initial bond of $2 million was reduced to $600,000, the courts spokesman said. Gudac made bond Aug. 10.
Immediately after the shooting, Pine Level Police Chief Keith Sparks said Barber and Gudac had been friends since they were boys.