Interactive sports documentary hopes to 'create a big conversation'
Posted September 19, 2013
Updated September 24, 2013
On Tuesday evening, WRAL will air "College $ports: #missionormoney," an interactive documentary hosted by Jeff Gravley examines the multi-billion dollar industry of big-time college sports, the influence of money on the game and whether reforms are needed to protect the integrity of the major academic institutions.
The two-hour social TV event will be broadcast on WRAL2 and 99.9 FM The Fan sports radio, a one-hour WRAL Documentary will air on WRAL-TV and users of WRALSportsfan.com will have a second-screen experience, including interactive polling and live Twitter and Facebook conversations using the hashtag #missionormoney.
Viewers can also participate in a pre- and post-game socialcast:
- 6:30 p.m. – Pre-game socialcast with Adam Gold & Joe Ovies on 99.9 The Fan and WRAL2
- 7 p.m. – Documentary on WRAL-TV
- 8 p.m. – Post-game socialcast with Adam Gold & Joe Ovies on 99.9 The Fan and WRAL2
- 6:30 to 8:30 p.m. -- Video, comments, polls, facts and stats on WRALSportsFan.com/missionormoney
Sam Matheny, Capitol Broadcasting Company’s vice president of policy and innovation, said the social documentary idea originated last fall during a discussion about interactive television.
"It's really about creating these conversations," Matheny said. "We wanted a topic people would feel comfortable talking about and taking a position on. We want people watching online or TV, sharing their opinions online and participating in the show."
Conversations about the program have already started on Twitter, and viewers can search #missionormoney to join the discussion before, during and after the show. They can also follow @WRALdoc for live tweeting and exclusive clips.
Matheny said his goal is to "create a big conversation."
"I’m really excited about it. We’ll see what we learn," he said.
Interviewees in the documentary include:
- Mike Krzyzewski, Duke head basketball coach
- Debbie Yow, NCSU athletic director
- Bubba Cunningham, UNC athletic director
- Len Elmore, CBS/ESPN basketball analyst, member of the Knight Commission on Intercollegiate Athletics and a former ACC and NBA star
- John Swofford, ACC commissioner
- Phillip Dubois, chancellor UNC Charlotte
- Tom Ross, president, UNC System
- Bucky Waters, former Duke coach and ESPN analyst
- Steve Logan, former ECU head football coach and radio personality
- David Glenn, host of the David Glenn Show
- TA McLendon, former NC State running back
- Charles Clotfelter, Duke professor and author of the book “Big Time Sports at American Universities”
- Orin Starn, Duke professor who is an expert on sports history
- Emmett Gill, an NCCU professor and member of the Athletic Reform Group
Viewers can watch the entire two-hour event live at www.wralsportsfan.com/missionormoney/ or locally on WRAL2, over the air on 5.2 or TimeWarnerCable digital channel 106.