Hurricanes

Hurricane Irma blamed for one death in NC

Posted 5:19 p.m. Friday

If the power is out, portable generators can help, but they must be used with caution. Always read and follow all operating instructions before running your generator.

— A Henderson County medical examiner has determined that an Edneyville man died Tuesday from carbon monoxide poisoning from a generator to power his home during Hurricane Irma.

This is the first death in North Carolina related to Hurricane Irma. Local authorities have not yet released the victim’s name.

“Kristin and I are saddened by this news and send our deepest sympathies to the victim’s family and friends,” Governor Roy Cooper said in a statement.

He encouraged any North Carolinians using generators to be sure to follow all safety guidelines.

Generators, gas and charcoal grills and propane stoves should always be used outdoors and away from windows, doors and vents to avoid carbon monoxide poisoning.

As of Friday, more than 2,000 North Carolinians remain without power due to the storm.

Comments

Please with your WRAL.com account to comment on this story. You also will need a Facebook account to comment.

Oldest First
View all