Hundreds of Wake County drivers cited during 'Click It or Ticket' campaign
Posted June 13, 2016
Raleigh, N.C. — Hundreds of drivers in Wake County and thousands statewide were cited in late May and early June during the state’s annual “Click It or Ticket” campaign.
The Governor’s Highway Safety Program and the North Carolina Department of Transportation issued 8,483 seat belt citations and 873 child passenger safety violations to NC drivers and passengers during their annual campaign, which ran between May 23 and June 5.
During the two week period, state and local law enforcement agencies held 6,343 checkpoints and stepped up patrols in 25 major N.C. counties, issuing 77,622 traffic and criminal violations.
Authorities issued 368 seat belt violation citations in Wake County. Only Robeson County had more, with 446 seat belt citations.
Following Robeson and Wake in most seat belt violations received were Wayne County (366), Guilford County (361) and Mecklenburg County (338).
“The safety of everyone who travels our roadways is a top priority of Governor McCrory’s agenda,” said Transportation Secretary Nick Tennyson. “The Click It or Ticket campaign reminds us that while we continue to make significant progress, we still have work to do to encourage passengers to buckle up in every seat, every time.”
As of June 3, authorities said 173 people have died statewide in crashes where people were not wearing seat belts. According to the NCDOT, that's a 13 percent increase from this time last year.
Officials have been trying to get the state's seat belt usage rate above 90 percent in 2016 after it dropped last year.
"As the summer travel season begins, we want to remind passengers that it is the law to wear your seat belt, regardless of where you are sitting,” said Don Nail, director of the Governor’s Highway Safety Program. “Buckling up takes three seconds and is a simple action that could save your life.”