Huge fire engulfs 600-year-old town hall in Bavaria
Posted November 25
BERLIN — A huge fire engulfed a 600-year-old town hall in southern Germany on Friday, with videos showing flames shooting 50 feet into the air from the top of the historic building.
Police said there had been no reports of people being injured in the fire. The gothic building in the Bavarian city of Straubing was undergoing renovation work.
Firefighters had brought the blaze under control by early evening, but the extent of the damage to the historic town hall had yet to be determined.
Firefighters also drenched the wooden stalls at a nearby Christmas market to keep them from catching fire due to flying sparks. The Christmas market was due to officially open Friday evening.
Straubing is located about 100 kilometers (62 miles) northeast of the Bavarian capital Munich.