Raleigh, N.C. — The inaugural Hopscotch Design Festival has released its initial lineup, which includes speakers from the fields of graphic design, urban planning, technology, architecture, music, film and more.
The two-day Hopscotch Design Festival will happen before Hopscotch Music Festival in downtown Raleigh at various venues on Wednesday, Sept. 3, and Thursday, Sept. 4. There will be more than 30 official speaker sessions and presentations about different aspects of design, art and technology, as well as parties, happy hours and a concert.
Here is the initial speaker lineup:
- Alexander Isley – Founder of Alexander Isley Inc.
- Annie Atkins – Lead Graphic Designer on Wes Anderson’s The Grand Budapest Hotel
- Apple Juice Kid & Pierce Freelon – Co-Founders of the Beat Making Lab
- Brian Singer – Manager on Communication Design team at Facebook
- Cliff Bleszinski – Former Design Director at Epic Games
- Doug Powell – Design Education Program Director at IBM
- Elle Luna – Designer and Painter
- Elliot Montgomery – Co-Founder of The Extrapolation Factory
- Harper Reed – CTO of 2012 Obama campaign and CEO of Modest
- Jake Levitas – Organizer and Designer focused on Civic innovation
- Jarin Tabata – Creative Director at SYPartners
- Katie Potochney – Creative Director at SYPartners
- Lee Noble – Musician and Designer; Also playing Hopscotch Music
- Matt Tomasulo – Chief Instigator of Walk [Your City]
- Maurice Woods – Founder and Executive Director of the Inneract Project
- Mitchell Silver – Commissioner of New York City’s Dept. of Parks and Recreation
- Pamela Abalu – Global Head of Design and Construction for MetLife Inc.
- Rob Cotter – Founder and CEO of Organic Transit
- Sarah Miller Caldicott –Thomas Edison’s great grandniece and collaboration consultant
- Sha Hwang – Designer on Healthcare.gov team
- Tim Myers – Artistic Director and Principal Conductor of North Carolina Opera
- Tristan Shone – Musician and Engineer; Also playing Hopscotch Music as Author & Punisher
The complete speaker lineup will be announced in a few weeks.
To celebrate the lineup announcement, CAM Raleigh is hosting a Hopscotch Design Festival Happy Hour this Friday. There will be beer and pizza from Trophy Brewing Company!
A collaboration between Hopscotch Music Festival and New Kind, the Raleigh design and community-building firm, the Hopscotch Design Festival hopes to showcase established and well-known national experts while highlighting local and up-and-coming innovators.
"New Kind was interested in presenting an event that reflected Raleigh’s strong foundation in design and the energy of the designers living here. When the opportunity to partner with Hopscotch Music Festival arose, we saw it as a chance to build an annual design event around an established festival known for its risk-taking and uniqueness," Matthew Munoz, New Kind's chief design officer, said.
Tickets for the Hopscotch Design Festival can be purchased online or at etix. com. Two-day passes to just the Design Festival are $150. A $75 two-day "Add-On" Pass is available for those who are buying or have already bought a VIP or three-day wristband to Hopscotch Music Festival.