Holiday Express Rehash: Tips if you have tickets, don't have tickets, have tickets for last Sunday
Posted December 11, 2013
Pullen Park's Holiday Express is back at it again this Friday through Sunday. The sold out event features lots of Christmas lights, evening rides on the park's carousel and train, visits with Santa and more.
The major event means that the city needs to cut back the hours that the park is open to the general public. Also, if you had tickets for last Sunday, Dec. 8, when the event was canceled, there's some important information you'll need to know before you go this weekend. The event runs 4 p.m. to 9 p.m., Friday to Sunday. It is completely sold out. No more tickets will be sold.
Here's what you need to know:
If you don't have tickets: The entire park will close at 2 p.m. on each day of the event and will be cleared. It will not reopen until 4 p.m. for those holding Holiday Express tickets. The park's carousel will be open only from 10 a.m. to 2 p.m. The kiddie train and boats will not be open at all to the general public during the days of the event.
If you do have tickets, here are some tips from the city's parks and recreation department:
- It's best to pick up your armbands early to avoid waiting in line during the event. You can stop by Pullen Park at any of these times: 10 a.m. to 6 p.m. to Dec. 12; 10 a.m. to 2 p.m., Dec. 13 to Dec. 15. The Will Call center is located at Pullen Amusements Welcome Center, 520 Ashe Ave. Armbands can be picked up during the evening starting at 4 p.m.
- When you pick up your armbands, be sure to have a picture ID or receipt with you. Lost or stolen armbands can't be replaced.
- To avoid the crowds, get there right at 4 p.m. or wait until later. The event's biggest crowds start around 5 p.m. or 5:30 p.m. and last for about two hours.
- Parking is available at Dorothea Dix at Western Boulevard and Hunt Drive. There will be commercial charter buses providing free transportation between the parking lot and event at no additional charge. There will be no parking available at Pullen Park with the exception of ADA accessible parking.
- Pullen Place cafe will be open with dinner and snack items.
If you had tickets for Sunday, Dec., 8, you are welcome to attend the event on Friday, Saturday or Sunday, but you will need to get a new armband if you have one already.
- If you have already picked up your armbands, you will be required to trade in your armband for a new event armband. This may be done in advance to avoid lines the night of the event at the Welcome Center.
- If you have not already picked up your armbands, you may do so in advance to avoid lines the night of the event at the Welcome Center.
- Again, here are the hours for the Welcome Center: 10 a.m. to 6 p.m. now to Dec. 12; 10 a.m. to 2 p.m., Dec. 13 to Dec. 15. Armbands can be picked up during the evening starting at 4 p.m.
If you have any questions please call Pullen Park at 919-996-6468.
I'll be out there this weekend. Can't wait!