Fire in the Triangle dishes
Posted August 18, 2013
Raleigh, N.C. — The final Fire in the Triangle battle is tonight! We've seen some crazy things (like Krispy Kreme doughnuts as a secret ingredient) and some bold moves, and today we're highlighting the five highest scoring dishes from the competition.
1. “Cronut” Tart Tatin, Strawberry Poultry Compote, Salted Caramel, Ginger Ice Cream – Chef Chris Hill, The Oxford (Score: 24.68)
The "cronut" craze continued in Battle Joyce Farms Poulet Rouge, where diners asked for seconds of this dish! Hill said his team had planned to do a cronut if they got chicken as a secret ingredient, and they executed it perfectly.
2. Red Farm Chicken Breast & Heritage Farms Pork Belly, Sweet Potato Custard, Apple Match Sticks, Jalapeno Air – Chef Chris Hill, The Oxford (Score: 23.92)
In the same battle, Hill had another high scoring dish! It hit on all fronts and was described as a "game-changer."
3. Bacon Elderberry BBQ Roasted Cheshire Pork Belly, Charred Shiitakes, Five Spice Whipped Peanuts, Johnston County Ham Onion Jam – Chef Scott James, Midtown Grille (Score: 23.82)
During Battle Johnston County Ham and Elderberry, diners were still raving about this dish, even during the dessert courses! The ham and onion jam was delicious, and really, what's better than pork belly topped with prosciutto?
4. Milk Poached NC Coast Golden Tile Fish, Lemon Grass Creamed Corn, Little River Crab, Ginger Tomato Confiture – Chef Scott James, Midtown Grille (Score: 23.70)
James made it onto the list again, this time in Battle Maple View Farms Dairy. It was a yummy fish dish that once again stood out above the dessert courses.
5. Homemade Duck & Pork Coffee Chorizo, Krispy Kreme Doughnut® Tortilla, Joe Van Gogh™ Cabbage Slaw with Caramel Doughnut Icing Crema – Chef Regan Stachler, Little Hen (Score: 23.68)
In Battle Coffee and Doughnuts, Stachler managed to pair savory duck and chorizo with sweet Kripsy Kreme and coffee slaw. Sounds crazy, but it paid off!
Out & About will be at the final battle tonight – follow us on Twitter to get updates on the battle as it happens, and check back tomorrow morning for a full recap!