Local News

Carbon monoxide scare forces Chapel Hill housing evacuations

Posted June 30, 2013

Map Marker  Find News Near Me

— About 15 residents of a public housing building in Chapel Hill were evacuated in the rain early Sunday after a carbon monoxide scare, police said. 

Many of the residents are elderly and some are in wheelchairs, so evacuation required the assistance of extra police officers. The residents were kept in ambulances until the heavy rain subsided and they were allowed back in their homes, around 4:15 a.m.

The Housing Department determined that no carbon monoxide was present and that an alarm had malfunctioned.

The residents of the unit where the carbon monoxide alarm sounded were not home at the time of the evacuation. Their neighbors called 911.

No injuries were reported.


This story is closed for comments.

Oldest First
View all