Go Ask Mom

Go Ask Mom

Help a Mom: Track-out programs for special needs kids

Posted April 9, 2013

I received this email from a local mom the other day. Here's what she wrote:

What track-out programs are suitable for special needs children?

We have a database of summer and track-out camps and some do cater to kids with special needs. But I know this mom would love your recommendations and thoughts on specific camps.

Do you have advice for this mom? Please share your tips in the comments box below. (If you don't see the comments box below, you'll need to log in or sign up for a WRAL account. You can do that by going to the top of the page and clicking on either "log in" or "register").

Help a Mom features questions from readers every Wednesday. If you have a question that you'd like to ask Go Ask Mom readers, click here to email it to me.


Please with your account to comment on this story. You also will need a Facebook account to comment.

Oldest First
View all
  • waterfall118 Apr 10, 2013

    If you are in Raleigh, the Raleigh Parks and Recreation offer top notch track out, summer camps, early and after school care and they have an AMAZING inclusion program and go above and beyond for children with special needs. My son has Autism and will be doing the express camp again this year and has done early care before both through RP&R. The best part is it is affordable and you receive great care. :D

  • shall6 Apr 10, 2013

    Thank you for these great comments!


  • RileyQuinnsMom Apr 10, 2013


    Some overnight summer camps cater to children with special. needs. Victory Junction located in Randleman, N.C. This overnight camp is free thanks to sponsor donations. Camp Carefree in Stokesdale, N.C., is another free, one-week overnight camp that welcomes children with special needs. Another option is HUGS Camp ( where campers with special needs are paired with one or more “helper” campers, who assist the with all the activities of camp life.

    A few of the places here have camps that may fit:

    Good luck to you and your family!!

  • RileyQuinnsMom Apr 10, 2013

    I would check with Day Care centers close to you. caters to children with disabilities, although I am not sure if they have camps. Many day cares that have a school age program do have track-out programs and might be able to offer you a solution. Check with the Special Olympics NC as they may be able to offer some solutions and check with Project Enlightenmen (

    The Raleigh Parks & Recreation Department welcomes those with disabilities or special needs and are ADA compliant. Your local Parks & Rec may be able to provide you a solution as well.

    Not knowing what track your child is on, what area of the Triangle you live in, or the level of disability your child has one of the following may be a good fit for for a summer camp:

    Located in Randleman, N.C., Victory Junction caters to special needs of all types, from craniofacial anomalies to hemophilia and cancer to spina bifida. This overnight camp

  • becca2379 Apr 10, 2013

    There are some local YMCA's that have programs for special needs children. I believe the KRAFT YMCA in Apex/Cary is one of them.

  • Mtneers Apr 9, 2013

    This is a great camp in Chatham County called Camp Royal. David Yell is the Director. This camp is for youth with autism.