Healthy recipes for college students
Posted August 28, 2010
Recipes courtesy of the Southeast United Dairy Industry Association
Chinese Chicken Salad
Makes 5 servings
1 (11-ounce) can mandarin oranges
1 (3-ounce) package chicken-flavored ramen noodle soup mix
1 (6-ounce) package chopped cooked chicken (or about 1 chicken breast)
2 tablespoons vegetable oil
2 tablespoons red wine vinegar
2 tablespoons sugar
2 tablespoons lite soy sauce
1(10-ounce) bag romaine salad greens, rinsed
1 (4-ounce) package shredded part-skim mozzarella cheese (about 1 cup)
1. Drain mandarin oranges, reserving 2 tablespoons of juice into a small bowl (discard remaining juice); set oranges aside. Remove seasoning packet from noodles; break noodles apart and set aside.
2. Whisk together half of seasoning packet, reserved orange juice, oil, vinegar, sugar and soy sauce. Toss with salad greens, chicken and reserved oranges. Top with broken noodles and cheese.
Calories 290 Fat 13 g (Sat Fat 4 g) Chol 40 mg Sodium 350 mg Carb 21 g Fiber 2 g Protein 20 g Calcium 200 mg
Makes 2 servings
1 cup water
2 tablespoons ground coffee
2 teaspoons whole cardamom seeds (not pods) or whole allspice
2 teaspoons whole cloves
1 cinnamon stick
1 1/2 cups 1% low-fat milk
4 teaspoons sugar
1. Place water in coffeemaker according to manufacturer's instructions. Place ground coffee, cardamom seeds, cloves and cinnamon stick in filter basket. Brew coffee.
2. Meanwhile, heat milk in microwave on HIGH 90 seconds or until steaming hot; add sugar and stir until dissolved.
3. Divide coffee evenly among two coffee cups and top evenly with steamed milk; stir to combine.
Calories 110 Fat 2 g (Sat Fat 1 g) Chol 10m g Sodium 95 mg Carb 18 g Fiber 0 g Protein 6 g Calcium 225 mg
Grilled Cheese Harvest Sandwich
Makes 1 serving
2 slices whole wheat bread
2 teaspoons apple butter
1 teaspoon deli mustard
3 slices fresh pear or apple
1 (1-ounce) slice reduced-fat Monterey Jack or Cheddar cheese
1. Coat one side of each bread slice with cooking spray; toast in toaster oven. Remove from oven and coat opposite sides of bread with apple butter and mustard. Layer pear slices and cheese between bread.
2. Microwave on HIGH 15 seconds or until cheese melts. Serve immediately with vegetable soup and cold milk.
Calories 290 Fat 7 g (Sat Fat 3.5 g) Chol 20 mg Sodium 470 mg Carb 40 g Fiber 5 g Protein 13 g Calcium 200 mg