Local News

Fayetteville fire ruled accidental

Posted March 17, 2014

Residents were rushed from Brookstone Apartments in Fayetteville Friday after fire broke out in the community off Cliffdale Road.
Map Marker  Find News Near Me

— A fire at the Brookstone Apartments off Cliffdale Road was ruled an accident, investigators said Monday.

The fire at 6524 Brookstone Lane Friday afternoon started because of a discarded cigarette on a balcony that caught fire, investigators said. It is believed windy conditions contributed to the fire spreading to adjoining units.

Thick smoke and flames were visible from the three-story building when firefighters arrived at around 4:45 p.m. The blaze was contained within an hour.

Six apartments were damaged by the fire. The Red Cross was called in to help with displaced families.

Firefighters remained at the scene Monday afternoon to tend to remaining hot spots.

1 Comment

This story is closed for comments.

Oldest First
View all
  • sidecutter Mar 18, 2014

    That was not an accident-it was negligence. The individual responsible should be charged with arson.