Grilling an easy way to eat healthy
Posted May 18, 2014
It's easy to eat healthy in summer, according to John Beverly, the Slimdown Chef from Structure House in Durham. Start with fresh, lean cuts of meat, veggies and fruit. All can be quickly prepared on the grill.
Louisiana Seasoning Mixture
2 Tbsp Ground Thyme
2 Tbsp Ground Oregano
2 Tbsp Dried Parsley
1 Tbsp Garlic Powder
1 Tbsp Paprika
1 Tbsp Onion Powder
1/2 Tbsp Ground Black Pepper
1/2 Tbsp Chili Powder
1/2 Tbsp Ground Sage
1. Combine all ingredients and store in an airtight container.
Yield: 3/4 Cup
Calories: 5 Fat: <1g
Cajun Shrimp Salad with Lime Vinaigrette
2 Tsp Ground Cumin
1/2 Tsp Salt
1 Tsp Chopped Fresh Garlic
2/3 Cup Orange Juice
6 Tbsp Chopped Shallot or Red Onion
4 Tsp Honey
1/4 Tsp Black pepper
1 ½ Tbsp Extra Virgin Olive Oil
36 Med/Large Peeled and Deveined Shrimp
12 Cups Mixed Baby Greens
1 Cup Fresh Tangerine or Orange sections
2 Fresh Limes, Sliced for Garnish
9 Cherry Tomatoes, Sliced
2 Tsp Louisiana Seasoning
1. To prepare vinaigrette, add the first eight ingredients and run for 10 seconds in a blender before drizzling in the olive oil.
2. Refer to the Louisiana seasoning recipe and mix in advance. Use about 1/4 tsp per 6 shrimp and rub the shrimp with the mix, with gloves on, before putting them on 10 in. water soaked wooden skewers (Soak skewers for 1 hour).
3. Grill on medium heat for approximately 4 minutes, or until done.
4. To prepare salad, measure out 2 cups mixed baby greens into a salad bowl or plate. Place shrimp on plate and garnish with tangerine sections, fresh lime and tomatoes.
5. Drizzle vinaigrette over top or toss greens first with dressing.
Yield: 6 servings; Portion: 1 salad with 6 shrimp
Calories: 201 Fat: 4g Sodium: 360mg
Grilled Marinated Flank Steak
1 ½ Lb Flank Steak, Trimmed
1 Tbsp Dijon Mustard
1 Tbsp Minced Garlic
1/2 Tsp Ground Ginger
2 Tbsp Low-Sodium Soy Sauce
2 Tbsp Fat-Free Raspberry Vinaigrette
1/4 Tsp White Pepper
1/2 Cup Water
1/4 Cup Red Cooking Wine
1. Combine all ingredients except steaks, and mix well.
2. Place steaks in dish and pour marinade over top. Marinate overnight.
3. Prepare grill with cooking spray.
4. Grill steak to medium-rare (130ºF internal temperature).
5. Let rest for 5 minutes. Slice into ¼-inch thick diagonal slices to serve.
Yield: 4 servings; Calories: 250 Fat: 9g Sodium: 680mg
Grilled Pineapple with Fresh Berries
2 Cups Pineapple (Cut thick and in halves- peeled not cored)
1 Tbsp Brown Sugar and Splenda Mix
1 Tsp Crystallized Ginger
1 Cup Fresh Raspberries and Blueberries
1 Tsp Demerara Sugar or Brown Sugar
5 Each Pan Spray (optional)
1. Fold a 36x18-inch piece of heavy foil in half to make an 18-inch square. Place pineapple in the center of the pan sprayed foil and sprinkle with the crystallized ginger and brown sugar. Make sure the pack is sealed completely so it can be turned on the grill but has some space to steam the fruit.
2. Place the packet in the middle of an uncovered charcoal grill or a gas grill at medium coals or medium heat. Cook for 10 minutes or until hot, turning it occasionally. You may want to use a vegetable grill holder to put the pack in for easier turning. If you would like to finish with a nice grill mark on the pineapple remove from packet and grill for 2 minutes turning once on each side.
3. Open the pack carefully avoiding the steam and transfer fruit to a bowl or plate and top with the berries mixed with the demerara sugar or brown sugar. Garnish with mint.
Yield: 4 servings; Portion: 1 pack
Calories: 62 Fat: 1/4 g Sodium: 2 mg