Weather

Expect heavy rain tonight into Tuesday morning

Posted May 22

— A stark contrast from the sunny, warm weekend, Monday will be a bit cooler and full of scattered showers and some thunderstorms.

According to WRAL meteorologist Elizabeth Gardner, highs today will be in the low to mid 80s. "That's a bit warmer than yesterday since we’ll see the clouds break up around mid-day," she said.

With the cooler weather comes rain and an elevated chance for storms, particularly overnight and into Tuesday. Gardner said there is about a 60 percent chance for rain for the morning commute, but that chance may decrease to 30 or 40 percent Monday afternoon when thunderstorms are more likely.

"The morning commute was messy, but we'll see a break mid-day before another round of rain returns," said Gardner.

Current Temperatures, DMA

Tuesday will likely be wetter than Monday, with a 90 percent chance for rain, but a good bit cooler, with a high of 70 degrees.

"We'll see rain picking up again tonight and tomorrow," said Gardner. "Totals between now and Tuesday evening could reach 1.5 to 2 inches. That could cause some urban and small stream flooding."

While Raleigh remains in low risk, some counties surrounding Wake, including Moore and Hoke, are under a marginal risk for severe weather. "The greatest threats would be damaging wind and heavy rain tonight," said Gardner.

  • Visit WRAL's alert center for the latest updates on severe weather and to download our free weather app.

Current forecasts predict that the showers and thunderstorms will last for days before clearing up just in time for Memorial Day weekend.

7-Day Forecast

Comments

Please with your WRAL.com account to comment on this story. You also will need a Facebook account to comment.

Oldest First
View all