WRAL TV

Goldsboro children badly burned while roasting marshmallows

Posted January 14
Updated January 15

— A brother and sister are in the hospital with severe burns after an accident when attempting to roast marshmallows in their Goldsboro home. The injuries were so serious, the siblings had to be airlifted to the North Carolina Jaycee Burn Center at UNC Health Care in Chapel Hill.

They were using a lighter, a pan and rubbing alcohol. Within seconds, the 8-year-old and 12-year-old were consumed in flames. Originally taken to Wayne Memorial Hospital, they were later flown in separate helicopters to UNC.

Montrael Williams said he and his siblings wanted to roast marshmallows on the cold Saturday afternoon.

"The bottle went flying the other way and then the juice, or the alcohol went flying toward my brother and sister and they caught on fire," he said. "I didn't catch on fire because I was at the corner of the table."

As mother Lashandra Moore helped her daughter, she didn't realize her son was outside still on fire. Thankfully a neighbor saw him and stopped to help, but his injuries were already severe.

"When I turned and looked I just saw my daughter and she was on fire. and i ran and slid, to the water bottle out," she said."Jaylen's eyes were burned so badly, they were blue and grey, and he couldn't see."

"My dad he was talking to me in the family room about how I shouldn't have been messing with fire," Williams said. "When we were walking out of the hospital getting ready to come back here, I made a promise to myself that I was never going to mess with lighters or fire again because I learned my lesson."

Firefighters said that rubbing alcohol burns clear, so the children likely did not realize the flame was burning. The children are being treated, and the family now waits for news on the recovery process.

3 Comments

Please with your WRAL.com account to comment on this story. You also will need a Facebook account to comment.

Oldest First
View all
  • Eric Rothman Jan 15, 6:04 p.m.
    user avatar

    Yes, it's stupid how it happened. But regardless, two young children were severely burned! I can't image anything much worse than severe burns! Not religious but praying thy can have some sort of Normal lives

  • Colin Burch III Jan 15, 11:43 a.m.
    user avatar

    Hopefully this will be a teaching moment for all parents and their children. Has anyone ever set a poor example by pouring charcoal starter/gasoline on an open flame? According to National Fire Protection Association 7000+ structure fires are started each year by children playing with fire.

  • Josha Barton Jan 15, 10:27 a.m.
    user avatar

    If the parents were right there, why did they allow them to attempt to roast marshmallows with rubbing alcohol and a lighter? I'm done.