Quail Ridge Books & Music in Raleigh has a wonderful children's section, which I often go to when buying gifts for my kids and their friends.
I checked in with them on what their most popular items are right now. Here's what they recommended, along with some new holiday favorites on the shelves this year.
- Skippyjon Jones and Cirque de Ole by Judy Schachner (who was at the store a few weeks ago)
- This Is Not My Hat by John Klassen
- How Rocket Learned to Read by Tad Hills
- Rocket Writes a Story by Tad Hills
- Ellen's Broom by Kelly Starling Lyons (a Raleigh mom who happens to be on our Made by Mom Gift Guide and will be at Quail Ridge at 3 p.m., Dec. 8!
- One and Only Ivan by Katherine Applegate
- Wonder by R.J. Palacio
- Who Could That Be at This Hour by Lemony Snicket
- Diary of a Wimpy Kid The Third Wheel by Jeff Kinney
- Secret of the Fortune Wookie by Tom Angleberger
Books for Teens
- The Fault in Our Stars by John Green
- Last Dragonslayer by Jasper Fforde
- Son by Lois Lowry
- Mark of Athena by Rick Riordan
- Seraphina by Rachel Hartman
New Holiday Favorites
- Who Built the Stable by Ashley Bryan
- Pete the Cat Saves Christmas by James Dean (the illustrator, who will be at Quail Ridge at 4:30 p.m., Nov. 26)
- How Do Dinosaurs Say Merry Christmas by Jane Yolen
- Berenstain Bears Old Fashioned Christmas by Berenstain
- Ella Bella Ballerina and the Nutcracker by James Mayhew
Quail Ridge also offers many other books on their website. Click here for more great recommendations for all ages and for information about these books.
And a brief aside: A big thank you to Nancy Olson, Quail Ridge's owner, for creating this great store and building such a fantastic children's department that brings in so many talented authors and illustrators and events for kids (and adults). Olson announced her retirement and plans to find a new owner last week. Best wishes to Olson!