Local News

Students return to class after gas leak at Fayetteville elementary school

Posted January 27

WRAL News

— A Fayetteville elementary school was evacuated Friday morning, following a gas leak at the building.

Officials said that the Fayetteville Fire and Emergency Management Department responded to William H. Owen Elementary School at 4533 Raeford Road at about 10:25 a.m. in response a report of the odor of gas coming from the kitchen area.

Upon arrival, members of the fire department found that students and staff had evacuated the building.

A Hazardous Materials Response Team remained at the scene Friday morning, conducting air monitoring tests within the building.

School officials said the gas leak was caused by a malfunctioning oven in the kitchen and the issue has since been repaired.

Students were taken by bus to Douglas Byrd Middle School for lunch and returned to school at about 1:30 p.m.

Comments

Please with your WRAL.com account to comment on this story. You also will need a Facebook account to comment.

Oldest First
View all