Raleigh, N.C. — About 30 firefighters and a hazmat crew worked to shut off a gas leak Tuesday night at the intersection of Wilmington and Martin streets in downtown Raleigh, authorities said.
Construction crews digging with an excavator at a partially demolished building, at 301 S. Wilmington St., ruptured a small gas line, authorities said. The leak was reported shortly after 9 p.m. and was shut off about two hours later.
The worker who hit the gas line said he was clearing out debris at what used to be the Lucky Street Sweepstakes Cafe when he recognized the sound of leaking gas. He yelled out to the five other crew members, who all ran from the building as quickly as possible.
All access to the intersection of Wilmington and Martin streets was blocked for several hours, as well as portions of Hargett and Blount streets.
No other information was released.