Local News

Gas grill causes Raleigh house fire

Posted August 2, 2011
Updated August 3, 2011

Map Marker  Find News Near Me

Map

— Firefighters said a malfunctioning gas grill caused a two-alarm fire at a Raleigh home on Tuesday.

Authorities said the fire broke out around 8:15 p.m. at 1301 Wagram Court. Flames had engulfed the deck and were reaching up to the attic when firefighters arrived.

One firefighter suffered a dislocated shoulder while pulling the fire hose before entering the house, authorities said. There were no other injuries. 

About half of the house was damaged. 

12 Comments

This story is closed for comments.

Oldest First
View all
  • firecaptain2000 Aug 3, 2011

    bpayne812-take two….

    Good observation. Did you also observe the ambient temperature and humidity? Often the number of responding fire apparatuses is related more to the need for manpower, rather than the need for their apparatus. That truck and the fire fighters assigned to it are attached like an umbilical cord. One is no good without the other, so we take it everywhere we go.

  • mlherndon69 Aug 3, 2011

    Sorry for your loss!! My family and I know what you are going through. We lost our home last Aug and the cause was a gas grill(malfunction of the regulator). All the comments below with LOL and saying the problem is the operator--those people are just dumb! The one comment from wildcat is 100% true!! NO grills of any kind should be on the deck or porch!! And as far as charcoal...It was the came of the multi-house fire at the beach last year not gas. Gas cuts off when you cut off the tank--charcoal sits and burns itself out. I have heard of many crazy people with charcoal using gas to light it or a lot of fluid!! You people need to learn to be more considerate! And if you can't say anything nice then keep you mouth shut!! The man has gone through losing everything he owned. Think about if it was your house and someone called you stupid or laughed at you!! Now how would you feel? A fire is one of the most horrible things to have happen and then to have to watch it adds to it.

  • umop apisdn Aug 3, 2011

    "Yet another reason to use charcoal. LOL."

    Hank Hill would disagree.

  • SmokeWagon Aug 3, 2011

    ..."you would have thought the whole neighborhood was going up with the amount of fire trucks heading to the scene...."

    Really?...I thought with all the budget cuts that the fire departments, police departments, sheriff departments schools and teachers and the like where going to have to be laid off and shut down because of all the EVIL budget balancing that the state is doing...hmmm, I guess those where all just hot air and hocus pocus sort of like hopey, changey....??

  • wildcat Aug 3, 2011

    had engulfed the deck and were reaching up to the attic when firefighters arrived.

    Why don't people learn to put their grills on in the yard and away from the house/apartment. You can learn from others. Firemen should start charging these people who have grills going on their deck or in their garages. Don't make sense to do that.

  • tperciac Aug 3, 2011

    Have a fire extinguisher in your home and in your car(s). Otherwise, you won't know you need one till you need one and it's too late. They won't put out a big fire but they could prevent a small fire from becoming a big fire.

  • timbo10.0 Aug 3, 2011

    Yet another reason to use charcoal. LOL.

  • umop apisdn Aug 3, 2011

    "you would have thought the whole neighborhood was going up with the amount of fire trucks heading to the scene."

    ...it's better to have it and not need it.

    "I would hate to have to put my grill next to the house! I keep it 20 feet away, just in case...."

    Same here, it's over cautious but ask the family whose house was damaged if they think it's worth the risk.

    I'm glad no one was seriously hurt.

  • candf Aug 3, 2011

    JoCo - I know the homeowner and was at the scene last night. He had recently received a replacement part for the grill from the manufacturer which apparently had a leak in it, thus causing the explosion. I assure you he is fully capable. We (his friends & family) are very grateful he escaped without injury. Thank you to the firefighters!

  • curiousgeorgia Aug 3, 2011

    Well, considering how tinder dry everything is, yeah, the whole neighborhood could have gone up in smoke. Thank you, brave firefighters!

More...