Local News

Furnace cited in $200K Chapel Hill house fire

Posted November 14, 2008

Map Marker  Find News Near Me

— Firefighters said Friday that a basement furnace problem caused a fire that burned up through the walls in a home at 421 Deming Road on Thursday.

Firefighters from Chapel Hill, Durham, Carrboro and the New Hope Fire Department fought the smoky blaze in the three-story house.

Smoke and fire were showing when firefighters arrived. No one was inside at the time, they said, and no one was hurt in the fire.

It took crews almost two hours to get the fire under control.

Tax records show the house is owned by Timothy and Marilyn Smith and is assessed at $367,700. Firefighters estimated that fire, smoke and water did $200,000 in damage to the structure and its contents.

 

2 Comments

This story is closed for comments.

Oldest First
View all
  • nonemeant Nov 14, 2008

    This is one of many reasons why you can't put your trust in material goods -- houses, cars, e.g. This story proves these things can literally go up in flames. God be with this family and let Him direct their paths at this most sad time.

  • fatcat11 Nov 14, 2008

    I feel for these folks..sad..