Local News

Fumes, clogged drain hospitalize restaurant worker, patron

Posted August 22, 2008
Updated August 23, 2008

Map Marker  Find News Near Me

— Chemical fumes and a clogged drain ending up sending a Raleigh restaurant worker and patron to the hospital Friday night.

A hazmat crew and at least five ambulances were sent to Wild Wings Cafe, 7900 Brier Creek Parkway, in the Brier Creek Commons shopping center around 8:30 p.m.

A worker pouring Drano and Clorox down the drain was overcome by the odor and was taken to the hospital, officials said. A patron sitting near the drain was also being treated at the hospital.

Both had non-life-threatening injuries, officials said.

Several other customers complained of burning eyes but did not require hospital treatment.

The restaurant closed following the incident on Friday night but reopened as scheduled on Saturday.

2 Comments

This story is closed for comments.

Oldest First
View all
  • colliedave Aug 22, 2008

    I want some of that stuff for when I fix wings/

  • IceCreamMan Aug 22, 2008

    Were the wings that hot?