Local News

Durham apartment building fire determined accidental; no injuries reported

Posted December 9, 2016

— Fire broke out late Friday morning at a three-story apartment building off University Drive in southwest Durham, officials said.

Firefighters were called to the Pinnacle Ridge Apartments just before 11 a.m.

The blaze did heavy damage to at least one building in the complex, causing a partial roof collapse. Apartments on the second and third floors also sustained heavy water damage, but no injuries were reported.

It took about 35 minutes to bring the fire under control, officials said. The flames were fanned by strong winds at the time.

Fire crews on scene were working to put out hot spots Friday afternoon. The cause of the fire has been determined to be accidental. It was caused by ashes from a fireplace that were dispsoed improperly.

Durham County officials said 11 occupied units were affected by the fire, and the Red Cross was assisting 23 people.

Comments

Please with your WRAL.com account to comment on this story. You also will need a Facebook account to comment.

Oldest First
View all