Local News

Five displaced after Durham Rescue Mission home catches fire

Posted November 21, 2014

Five people were displaced Friday evening after a home owned by the Durham Rescue Mission caught fire. (Bill Herrero/WRAL)
Map Marker  Find News Near Me

— Five people were displaced Friday afternoon after a home owned by the Durham Rescue Mission caught fire.

Firefighters reported heavy smoke from the attic and visible fire when they arrived at 1204 Franklin Street at about 4:50 p.m. The fire, which was brought under control in about 15 minutes, caused heavy fire damage to several rooms and the attic, officials said.

A man who was inside the home said he noticed fire and smoke coming from the attic. The flames came from the flue of the wood stove where it enters the attic, officials said.

No injuries were reported.

The five people will now stay at the rescue mission’s Center for Hope at the corner of Main Street and Alston Avenue. Because the facility is full, they will have to sleep on the floor.

"The Durham Fire Department wants to remind residents to have their chimneys and flues checked regularly by a professional chimney sweep," the department said in a statement. "Dirty or obstructed flues and loose fittings can result in fires or dangerous concentrations of carbon monoxide inside living areas."


This story is closed for comments.

Oldest First
View all