Durham, N.C. — Tuesday's opening night of Newsies at Durham Performing Arts Center was historic for the venue as DPAC saw its 3 millionth person enter its doors.
The venue has been open since 2008 and has hosted everything from Broadway blockbusters and top comedians to legendary concerts. For the past six years, DPAC has ranked among the top five most attended theaters in the country.
Erin Andrews, a Durham native who now lives in Burlington, was the 3 millionth guest and received a $1,000 gift certificate to DPAC's 2016/2017 season, which features Broadway shows, concerts and comedians. She also had the opportunity to go backstage after the show and meet the Newsies cast.
Tuesday was Andrews' first time visiting the DPAC.
"When DPAC was first envisioned, no one would have believed that it would become the center for live entertainment in North Carolina. My thanks to the fans of the Broadway, concert, comedy and special events we host that have been so supportive of everything we do. One-of-a-kind, live entertainment events plus a focus on the guest are why every year, DPAC is always in the top five theaters in the U.S.," DPAC general manager Bob Klaus said in a statement.
Newsies will continue its run through Sunday at DPAC. Based on true events, the show tells the story of a band of underdogs who become unlikely heroes when they stand up to the most powerful men in New York.
DPAC Show Stats
Top Five Grossing Broadway shows at DPAC:
Disney’s The Lion King: February 16 – March 20, 2016
- WICKED: April 21 – May 16, 2010
- WICKED: May 2 – May 27, 2012
- Disney’s The Lion King: January 4 – 30, 2011
- WICKED: January 7 – 25, 2015
Top Five Grossing Concerts at DPAC
- Neil Young: April 15, 2011
- Celtic Woman: February 13, 2010
- Aretha Franklin: May 19, 2016
- Duran Duran: March 28, 2016
- Steely Dan: August 4, 2011
Top Five Grossing Comedians at DPAC
- Dave Chappelle: November 7 – 9, 2014
- Jerry Seinfeld: September 11, 2015
- Jerry Seinfeld: February 2, 2013
- Jerry Seinfeld: February 12, 2011
- John Cleese / Eric Idle: October 28 – 29, 2015