banner
Family

First photo and plot details from the upcoming Han Solo film drop on the internet

Posted February 22

Daisy Ridley and Harrison Ford star in "Star Wars: The Force Awakens," now on Blu-ray and DVD. (Deseret Photo)

It’s official: The new untitled Star Wars film about Han Solo began production Monday at Pinewood Studios in London.

The production crew released this photo of the cast in celebration of the landmark moment.

Upon seeing the new cast photo, Twitter reacted basically in the way you’d expect — turning the picture into a meme.

Few details exist about the film. But according to StarWars.com, the film will center around the early years of the galaxy’s most loveable scoundrel. It will also include Solo’s good friend — seen in later Star Wars films — Lando Calrissian, according to a press release.

The film stars Alden Ehrenreich as Han Solo and Donald Glover as Lando Calrissian. Woody Harrelson, Emilia Clarke and Phoebe Waller-Bridge all have unknown roles, according to the press release.

Phil Lord and Christopher Miller will direct the new film, which, like the recent “Rogue One,” will be a Star Wars anthology story — taking place outside the main saga storyline.

According to IGN, the film will have the feeling of an old Western or heist movie.

“Watching such inspired people from all over the world, with such unique voices, come together for the sole purpose of making art, is nothing short of miraculous,” Lord and Miller said. “We can’t think of anything funny to say, because we just feel really moved, and really lucky.”

Head to StarWars.com for more details.

Ehrenreich, who won out over thousands of other actors to play the lead character, said he felt inspired to be involved in the new project, according to E! Online.

"I had an audition process that went on for a long time, and I got to spend a lot of time with the guys who are directing the film," Ehrenreich said, according to E! Online. "Getting to be around them and being around the world a little bit has been the main experience so far. I did my audition on the Millennium Falcon for one of my screen tests, which was pretty cool."

“Rogue One” — the aforementioned Star Wars anthology film that indeed had a heist plot about the Rebels stealing the Empire’s plans for the Death Star — grossed more than $528 million in the United States with more than $1 billion worldwide, according to Box Office Mojo.

Comments

Please with your WRAL.com account to comment on this story. You also will need a Facebook account to comment.

Oldest First
View all