Raleigh, N.C. — There were some really delicious dishes at the Fire in the Triangle competition last night, and we got the scoop on how to create those meals yourself!
Today's recipe is from chef John Childers of (Herons) and his yummy Peach BBQ Chicken and Pork Belly, Peach Caramel, Charred Corn Salad, Slaw, Candied Peanuts and Rosemary. It was Childers' highest-scoring dish of the night, earning a score of 22.57 out of 30.
Be sure to check out our recap on last night's competition, along with photos and commentary on the dishes. Out & About is the official blogger of Fire in the Triangle, so look for exclusive content, interviews and more from each battle.
Note that the recipes below were made to serve 120 people at the competition! You'll have to adjust the recipe accordingly.
- 5 lb pork belly
- Salt & pepper
- Season pork belly with salt and pepper
- Sear pork belly until golden brown
- Add water and place into an oven (250 degrees for 3 hours)
- Cool belly and slice
- Caramelize in a hot pan
- 2 cups whole grain mustard
- 1 carrot, julienned
- 1 red onion, julienned
- 2 peaches, julienned
- 1 head green cabbage, julienned
- 2 tbsp celery seed
- 1 tbsp kosher salt
- Combine all ingredients
- 6 peaches, pitted and grilled
- 3 tomatoes, sliced and charred
- 3 cloves garlic
- 1 yellow onion, sliced
- 1/2 lb brown sugar
- 2 cups cider vinegar
- 3 cups water
- Sweat onion, garlic, tomato and peaches until tender
- Add sugar and caramelize
- Add vinegar and reduce by half
- Add water and reduce by half
- Grill chicken and cover with peach BBQ