Local News

Dozens of homes lost to Friday fires

Posted November 2, 2012
Updated November 3, 2012

Map Marker  Find News Near Me

Map

— Dozens of residents of The Lakes Apartments in Raleigh were out of their homes Friday night after fire damaged units in the community off Falls of Neuse Road.

Firefighters said the blaze, at 6614 Lake Hill Drive, may have started in a bedroom. 

"People were yelling, 'There's a fire in the building.' We just grabbed all the kids and ran out," one resident said.

Officials say one person was taken to WakeMed North for smoke inhalation, and two firefighters were treated on scene for minor injuries. About 50 people living in 10 units have been displaced. Apartment management put them up for the night, and the Red Cross was also providing aid. 

In northern Wake County, Rolesville firefighters battled a blaze at home at 6117 Country Heritage Lane.

Fire broke through the back wall and roof of the home, but no one was home at the time and no one was injured. That family also got help from by the Red Cross Friday night.

Firefighters said preliminary indications were the fire was caused by an electrical short.

Comments

This story is closed for comments. Comments on WRAL.com news stories are accepted and moderated between the hours of 8 a.m. and 8 p.m. Monday through Friday.

Oldest First
View all