Local News

Fire doused at Durham restaurant

Posted March 15, 2013

Map Marker  Find News Near Me

— Firefighters quickly extinguished a Friday morning fire at a Mexican restaurant near downtown Durham.

Smoke started billowing from the El Rodeo restaurant in the Brightleaf Square office and retail complex on West Main Street shortly after 10 a.m.

Investigators determined the accidental fire started in a range hood in the kitchen and spread to the building's second floor.

The fire was out within 30 minutes, but firefighters were at the scene for more than three hours, occasionally spraying water down a ventilation shaft from the roof.

No injuries were reported.

The building sustained some water and smoke damage, and there was no word on when the restaurant would reopen.


This story is closed for comments.

Oldest First
View all
  • 68_dodge_polara Mar 15, 2013

    Got caught in the traffic tie up, assumed it was yet another truck ramming the rail road track bridge because it was too tall. Happens a lot there on Gregson.

  • heilama2003 Mar 15, 2013

    Dang, Pepe! You burned the tortillas again.

  • Relic Mar 15, 2013

    Mas caliente talmales. Glad no one was hurt.

  • CAROLINA43 Mar 15, 2013

    It's like a sauna in here...no mas pantalones!!!