Teen saves father from burning Johnston County home
Posted December 17, 2012
Clayton, N.C. — A Johnston County family of seven lost their home early Monday in an accidental fire, authorities said. A young teen is being called a hero for rushing back into the burning building to get his father out safely.
Fire ripped through the Dixon family's home, at 13175 Buffalo Road in Archer Lodge, shortly after 5 a.m. The blaze started in a bedroom.
No one was injured.
Wesley Dixon, 13, said that, when the smoke alarm went off, he woke up surrounded by flames.
"Just looking fire in the face, when I woke up all I saw was fire in my face," he said.
When he got outside and didn't see his father, he braved the blaze again.
"I want to be in the Navy SEALS and they go through stuff to save other people's lives," he said.
Harold and Sharon Dixon, along with Wesley and four other children, are being assisted by the American Red Cross, who secured the family a motel room. Two local churches are also providing clothes.
Eight days before Christmas, "we lost everything we had," said Harold Dixon, a custodian at Riverwoods Middle School.
But the father said he still feels blessed.
"I think about the people in Connecticut that don't have their children, but I can sit here and count all of mine," he said. "To me, that's a blessing."