Local News

Fire destroys Durham townhomes

Posted September 14, 2009

Map Marker  Find News Near Me

Map

— An early morning fire Monday destroyed two townhouses in southern Durham where three Duke University students and a young couple with an infant lived.

The fire started on the back porch of the townhome at 106 Old Maple Lane, in the Heritage Woods subdivision, around 3:30 a.m., fire officials said. The flames quickly spread to the adjacent unit.

All the occupants managed to get out safely.

The two units were a complete loss, and two adjacent units also had smoke damage, fire officials said.

The students said that the fire might have started in a charcoal grill.

4 Comments

This story is closed for comments.

Oldest First
View all
  • issymayake Sep 14, 2009

    My friend lives in the same cul-de-sac with these houses. I pray they have house/rental insurance.

  • mjlt3 Sep 14, 2009

    Glad everybody maded it out okay!

  • mpheels Sep 14, 2009

    I wouldn't be surprised if the lease or homeowners' associated barred the use of grills on the patio deck. I know every rental I've lived in specifically banned their use in the lease, and in a lot of places it's against the fire code to use a grill w/in a certain distance of a multi-family dwelling.

  • WHEEL Sep 14, 2009

    College students should be required to pass a course and have a permit to buy charcoal!