Local News

Fire destroys Clayton home

Posted February 10, 2013

— Fire ripped through a Clayton home early Sunday, authorities said. The house is a total loss.

A family of five made it out safely when flames broke out at their home, at 877 Bobbitt Road, just before 1 a.m.

The homeowner said he was awakened by a noise and opened the door to his finished attic, which was engulfed in flames. 

A firefighter was injured when he fell through the ground floor into the basement of the burning house, but he was treated at the scene and released.

The fire marshal said the fire started in the attic, where the family keeps a wood-burning stove.

2 Comments

This story is closed for comments. Comments on WRAL.com news stories are accepted and moderated between the hours of 8 a.m. and 8 p.m. Monday through Friday.

Oldest First
View all
  • irishgirlsarepretty Feb 11, 8:43 a.m.

    So terrible :( Glad everyone is ok!

  • lucasd06 Feb 11, 8:20 a.m.

    This is the sweetest family you'll ever meet. If so inclined to help them get back on their feet, do a Facebook search for "Support the Crider family" for more information. Donations can be made at Life Community Church in Clayton, where Jeff Crider is an elder.