Local News

Fire damages Islamic Center of Raleigh

Posted February 23, 2013
Updated February 25, 2013

— A Saturday night fire caused an estimated $50,000 in damage to the Islamic Center of Raleigh, but no injuries were reported, center officials said.

The fire started in kitchen shortly after 9 p.m. when boxes on top of a pizza oven burst into flames, officials said.

Youth activities are scheduled at the center, at the intersection of Ligon and Atwater streets, on Saturday nights, so about 200 people were there when the fire broke out, officials said.

Everyone was able to get out of the building unharmed, and a sprinkler system helped douse the fire. Part of the gymnasium and various equipment sustained water damage, officials said.

3 Comments

This story is closed for comments. Comments on WRAL.com news stories are accepted and moderated between the hours of 8 a.m. and 8 p.m. Monday through Friday.

Oldest First
View all
  • djofraleigh Feb 25, 7:22 p.m.

    I see pizza places put carry outs on top the oven all the time...bad luck

  • irishgirlsarepretty Feb 25, 1:15 p.m.

    Glad everyone is ok!!

  • Viewer Feb 25, 9:20 a.m.

    ""boxes on top of a pizza oven""???

    Adult supervision was sorely lacking, glad that only property was damaged.