Local News

Fire damages Duke students' apartments

Posted February 14, 2009

Map Marker  Find News Near Me

— Fire damaged an apartment on Duke University’s Central Campus early Saturday. No one was inside at the time, and no injuries were reported, Duke police said.

A security officer on patrol heard a loud noise about 9:25 a.m. and noticed smoke coming from 2015 Yearby Ave., Apt. G, said Maj. Gloria Graham of Duke Police. The security officer contacted Duke police, who searched the apartment and found no one inside. They evacuated residents in adjoining apartments.

Durham firefighters put out the fire and contained it to the apartment. Two adjoining apartments had some smoke damage.

Preliminary findings show that an extension cord inside a bedroom caused the fire, Graham said.

The students who lived in the apartment will be relocated, and Duke officials will assist them in replacing their essential belongings, said Larry Moneta, vice president for student affairs.

Comments

This story is closed for comments.

Oldest First
View all