Local News

Fire Claims Trailer Classroom at W. Johnston High

Posted February 28, 2008

Map Marker  Find News Near Me

— A portable classroom outside West Johnston High School caught fire before school hours Thursday morning.

No one was inside at the time, and no injuries were reported.

According to Crystal Roberts, Johnston County School District public information officer, the central heating unit in the classroom failed to turn off after the room was warm, causing a small fire in the ceiling. Firefighters removed the ceiling tiles and extinguished the fire.

All similar classrooms on the campus are being inspected, Roberts said.

Classes scheduled to be held in the damaged trailer will be relocated.

1 Comment

This story is closed for comments.

Oldest First
View all
  • withmittens34 Feb 29, 2008

    This story has some flaws. The fire actually started during the first class of the day. Smoke was pouring into the classroom when students were in the room. They had to be evacuated to a nearby room. 2 classes had to be moved to the school's media center for the whole day. The first 2 facts in your story are inaccurate! You should probably give the school a call, and ask to speak to teachers who were outside, near the fire at the time. You could also ask one of the 20+ students who were in the room when the smoke started pouring in. The classrooms in question do not have smoke detectors installed in them. Maybe this is why it took a little while to determine ther ewas actually a fire. A number of these portable classrooms have extensive problems that have yet to be checked out.