Local News

Fire causes heavy damage to Durham home

Posted January 6, 2015

Map Marker  Find News Near Me

— Discarded smoking materials ignited a fire that heavily damaged a home Tuesday on Kindlewood Drive in Durham, authorities said.

No one was injured in the blaze, which happened about 10:30 a.m., but a cat did not survive.

Firefighters arrived to find found smoke and flames coming from the garage of the one-story structure. Durham Deputy Fire Chief Chris Iannuzzi said the fire began in the garage but caused severe heat and smoke damage throughout the home. A car was also destroyed.

"The cause of the fire was accidental and was possibly caused by improperly discarded smoking materials," Iannuzzi said in a statement.

The Red Cross was called in to assist five people who were living in the home.


This story is closed for comments.

Oldest First
View all