Local News

Fire at hardware store started in repair shop

Posted May 7, 2010

Map Marker  Find News Near Me

— Authorities said the fire that destroyed a Wayne County hardware store late Thursday appeared to have originated in the repair shop where lawnmowers are worked on.

The fire started around 11 p.m. at Kearney Paint and Hardware Company, 409 Highway 111 South. When firefighters arrived, they found flames crackling through the roof.

Assistant Fire Chief Eric Lancaster said it has been determined that the fire started after the owner, who was working late, left a lawnmower battery charging overnight in the repair shop.

2 Comments

This story is closed for comments.

Oldest First
View all
  • Tarheelfan13 May 7, 2010

    I have always been treated with the upmost courteousness whenever I have went to that store. As raines mom 2000 stated in that I do hope they recover and go on to rebuild. Businesses like that are important part and vital to the community.

  • raines mom 2000 May 7, 2010

    It was a very sad sight this morning as I passed it on my way to work. They are exceptionally good and decent people. I hope they recover and go on to rebuild. They are very importsnt to our community.