Fire at Angier assisted living center displaces 31
Posted June 20
Angier, N.C. — A fire at an assisted living center early Tuesday morning in Angier displaced 31 residents, officials said.
The fire started just after midnight at the Stagecoach Manor Rest Home on Old Stage Road near Piney Road.
No one was injured, and all the displaced residents spent the night at Piney Grove Chapel Baptist Church, which is about a mile away from where the assisted living center burned.
"Our staff did an excellent job evacuating the building and working with local EMTs and fire departments," said Buddy Lockamy, Stagecoach Manor administrator.
"Everybody got meds, everyone was fed, and everyone had cots to sleep on," Lockamy said. "And everybody overall did really well compared to what they had to go through."
Officials did not yet know the cause of the fire.
"One of our assistant chiefs pulled up on the scene and saw flames through the roof," said Zach Lindsey, Angier Black River Fire Chief. "He called in a working fire, and resources arrived on the scene and began extinguishing the fire as we made sure all the residents and staff were out of the building."
Carolyn Western is the administrator at another nearby assisted living home. She stopped by to make sure the staff was OK.
"We wanted to come over and see what we could do to assist, whether it was placement of the residents or with staffing because so many people are going to be affected by this."
The residents are staying at two nearby facilities while the staff and community pitches in to help.
"Needs right now are probably clothing," said Tami Taylor, a Pine Grove Chapel Church employee. "We are gathering all the clothing and having it laundered. I think the biggest need they have right now is for people to visit them and love on them."