Fayetteville woman sought in Craiglist scheme
Posted May 7, 2010
Fayetteville, N.C. — Police are searching for a Fayetteville woman who they say has been operating a scam on Craigslist.
Arrest warrants were issued on Friday for Laprecia Ancrum Lesane, 29, of 2713 Preston Woods Lane Apartment 2. She faces charges of obtaining property by false pretenses.
Police said Lesane has been accepting money as down payments on apartment rentals that she does not own and leaving with the money before victims realize she is not the owner. At least seven victims have been scammed.
Lesane is known to frequent the Fayetteville, Greensboro and Spring Lake areas.
Anyone with information on Lesane’s whereabouts is asked to contact the Fayetteville Police Fraud Team at 910-433-1856 or Crimestoppers at 910-483-TIPS.
Police are reminding citizens to be careful when dealing with strangers through social media websites. They offer these tips:
- Be especially careful when buying/selling high value items
- Do not meet in a secluded place, or invite strangers into your home
- Consider having a friend accompany you
- Tell a friend or family member where you're going
- Take your cell phone along if you have one
- Insist on a public meeting place like a cafe
- Trust your instincts
- Use extreme caution if other party is asking for cash only