Fayetteville red-light cameras to return

Posted July 24, 2014

More intersections in Raleigh will be monitored by cameras in the coming months.

— Red-light cameras will likely reappear at some Fayetteville intersections soon.

On Thursday, lawmakers gave final approval to a bill that will allow the program to be paid for through a joint agreement between the city and the Cumberland County Board of Education. 

The city let its program lapse after the North Carolina Court of Appeals ruled in 2007 that cities could keep only 10 percent of the revenue generated by red-light cameras – not enough to pay for the costly camera systems. The other 90 percent of proceeds had to go to the schools under a provision in the state constitution. 

The bill that became law Thursday allows Fayetteville and the school district to manage the contract jointly, getting around the constitutional quandary. 

Sen. Ben Clark, D-Cumberland, said city and county leaders and the bipartisan legislative delegation were united in support of the proposal as a way to improve safety and reduce traffic accidents in Fayetteville. 

Sen. Brent Jackson, R-Sampson, argued the bill is "a speed trap waiting to happen," saying cities would start reducing the length of yellow lights as a way to trigger more tickets and raise more revenue.  

"We cannot do that," Clark countered. "There are already provisions in statute that dictate the duration of the yellow light." 

Sen. Ralph Hise, R-Mitchell, said he would vote for the bill because Fayetteville already has statutory authority to have the cameras. But he said Senate Republicans remain opposed to the systems and warned other cities not to seek to follow Fayetteville's lead. 

"Members of this body will continue to fight to eliminate red-light cameras in North Carolina," Hise said. "We have not been successful in persuading our colleagues in the House, but I don’t think that effort is going to end."  

The measure calls for the fine for a red-light camera ticket to be set at $75 initially, rising to $100 by 2015. 

House Bill 1151 passed the Senate 36-13. It had already passed the House, and because it's a local bill, it becomes law without the governor's signature.


This blog post is closed for comments.

Oldest First
View all
  • James Walker Jul 29, 2014
    user avatar

    The rea$on$ Fayetteville want$ red light camera$ are obviou$ to mo$t ob$erver$ and tho$e rea$on$ do NOT include $afety.

    This is a scam plan to assault the wallets of mostly safe drivers for money.

    EVERY Fayetteville official who supports this vicious money grab scam with cameras needs to be voted out of office.

    James C. Walker, Life Member - National Motorists Association

  • Jerry Sawyer Jul 25, 2014
    user avatar

    It has already been determined that these do not work. Brilliant plan.

  • Frankie Carroll Jul 25, 2014
    user avatar

    slam on brakes if they rear end you its on thim they forget rear end collisions went through the roof when these cameras where used the last time

  • jstaley Jul 24, 2014

    When I was a state trooper, we had to positively identify a driver in court. No way I would pay one of these rip-offs.....

  • Namey Names Jul 24, 2014
    user avatar

    Just another money grab by our fine govt. Speed and red light camera will eventually be made unconstitutional. I was pulling a car on a trailer in Raleigh by ncciw and went through the quickest yellow light I've ever saw, with no way to safely stop that fast. The cam flashed, but I haven't got anything yet in the mail. I wish they would, id fight it like crazy.

  • jstaley Jul 24, 2014

    What if you lend your pick-up to some friends, and they run the light, and you get a fine in the mail? Would I pay it? NO!