Fayetteville police warn shoppers after robberies reported
Posted June 7, 2014
Fayetteville, N.C. — Fayetteville police are cautioning residents after two purse snatchings in shopping centers along Morganton and Skibo roads.
Police said Saturday that the assailants in both cases drove a burgundy-colored car, stopped the victims in parking lots and engaged them in conversation before grabbing their handbags.
Police did not specify where the robberies occurred. They shared the following safety tips:
- Be aware of your surroundings.
- Go shopping during the day if possible. If you must shop at night, go with another person.
- Dress casually, comfortably and avoid wearing expensive jewelry.
- If possible, do not carry a purse or wallet.
- Be cautious when carrying a wallet or purse. They are often targets of criminals in crowded shopping areas.
- Avoid overloading yourself with packages. It is important to maintain clear visibility and freedom of movement to avoid mishaps.
- Beware of strangers approaching you for any reason.
- If approached by a stranger, do not place yourself in harm’s way and allow the person into your personal space.
- If you observe suspicious activity, call 911 immediately.