Local News

Fayetteville hotel evacuated for a second time

Posted December 17, 2009

Map Marker  Find News Near Me

— Fayetteville police said Thursday they had to again force out tenants of the Hotel Prince Charles, which has been ordered evacuated due to safety concerns.

Police said that tenants had re-occupied the hotel, which had been evacuated on Tuesday.

Fire officials say problems with the fire alarm system make the 450 Hay St. building unsafe. Officials said they alerted hotel owner John Chen in October about a possible problem with the system, but the problem was not addressed.

The building will be closed until the fire alarm system is repaired. It was unclear how long that could be.

Most of the rooms in the hotel were being rented by the month, and residents said they had little time Tuesday to gather their belongings.

The Regency Inn is offering Prince Charles residents temporary housing at a discounted rate.

2 Comments

This story is closed for comments.

Oldest First
View all
  • Fuquay Resident Dec 17, 2009

    Wade Land, I'm sure since Fayetteville PD had to force people out AGAIN, WRAL and many others would classify that as a 2nd evacuation.

  • Wade Land Dec 17, 2009

    WRAL, maybe you know something I don't, but per my understanding the hotel (which it's really an apartment complex at this point)was evacuated on Tuesday and has not opened since then. People have been allowed to go in and retrieve their belongings, but the place has not opened since Tuesday. So the headline "second time" is not correct.