With Valentine's Day less than a month away, spots at many of the region's dances devoted to dads and their daughters are filling up.
And this year, we have more dances catering to not just dads and daughters - but the whole family. So moms out there hoping to take their sons to a ball, this is your year.
Here's what's scheduled. If you know of others, please share in the comments or email me the information.
- The Triangle Area Father Daughter Dance is 6 p.m. to 9 p.m., Feb. 1, at Marbles Kids Museum in Raleigh. I featured Joel Wiggins, the father behind this popular event, two years ago. His goal is to encourage dads to spend quality time with their daughters year round and for the community to help girls who don't have a father in their lives. The event provides admission, attire and transportation to the dance for selected girls with no father figure (and is collecting donations to support those efforts). Tickets include music, dancing, food and drinks, goodie bags, professional photography and videography and information on local father-daughter resources. Tickets are $45 for a father-daughter pair, $70 for a dad and two daughters, and $95 for a dad and three daughters.
- The group behind the Triangle Area Father Daughter Dance also is organizing a Mother Son Valentine's Ball from 6 p.m. to 9 p.m., Feb. 15, at Marbles Kids Museum. Tickets start at $45 for a mother and son. They include music, dancing, food and drinks, goodie bags, photography and more. Read my earlier post for more about this new event. Wiggins tells me that the response has great.
- Cary's annual Daddy-Daughter Dance is 6 p.m. to 9 p.m., Feb. 7 and Feb. 8, at the Cary Senior Center, 120 Maury O'Dell Place. Registration is now open for dads and their daughters. Tickets are $17 per person for residents and $22 for non-residents. The fee includes a photograph of the couple, live music entertainment and refreshments. Pre-registration is required for this event.
- The annual Daddy-Daughter Dance at Laurel Hills Community Center on Edwards Mills Road in Raleigh is 6:30 p.m .to 8:30 p.m., Feb. 7. Tickets are $15 for residents and $27 for non-residents. Tickets include heavy hors d'oeuvres, a flower for each daughter and door prizes. A photo area will be set up and staff will be available to take pictures with your camera (so be sure to bring it!). Pre-registration required. Contact the community center to get your tickets.
- Cary Ballet Company will host a special night for dads and daughters at the Cary Ballet Conservatory, 3791 NW Cary Parkway. It's 6:30 p.m. to 8 p.m., Feb. 8.
- Orange County parks will hold its Family Valentine's Dance from 6 p.m. to 8:30 p.m., Feb. 7, at the Central Recreation Center. Tickets are $15 per person and include light refreshments, DJ, and one 5 X 7 photo of you and your child. This is for the whole family, not just dads and daughters. Mothers and sons are welcome too. Kids must be between the ages of 4 and 12. Timely pre-registration is highly encouraged as this sells out.
- Nash County's annual Daddy-Daughter Sweetheart Dance is 6 p.m. to 8:30 p.m., Feb. 1, at the Nash County Ag Center. Registration is due by Jan. 24. The event is for dads and their daughters, who are in kindergarten to fifth grade. The cost is $25 per couple and $5 for each extra child.
- In Fayetteville, the Forever Fancy Sweetheart Dances honor both dads and daughters and mothers and sons. Both are held at the John D. Fuller Athletic/Recreation Complex. The Daddy & Daughter Dance is 5 p.m. to 7 p.m., Feb. 16. The Mother & Son Dance is 5 p.m. to 7 p.m., Feb. 23. Tickets start at $35 total for one parent and child pair. Tickets include a live DJ, a flower for the daughter or mother, door prizes, giveaways, food and more. Buy before midnight, Jan. 31, and get $10 off your ticket price with the GOASKMOM discount code.
- Smithfield Recreation and Aquatics Center will host its annual Daddy Daughter Dance from 7:30 p.m. to 10 p.m., Feb. 15. The dance is for dads and their daughters ages 3 to 16. Tickets, which are $45 for Smithfield residents and $50 for non-residents, including entertainment, appetizers and a photo. There's a $5 charge for each additional daughter. You must register at the center. Call 919-934-2148 for details. Space is limited. Registrations are accepted only until Feb. 10.
- Triangle Youth Ballet will hold its second annual Father Daughter Valentine Dance, a fundraiser for the group. It's 4:15 p.m. to 6 p.m., Feb. 9, at Extraordinary Ventures, 200 South Elliott Rd., Chapel Hill. Tickets are $20 for the parent. There will be a DJ, family portraits, a dessert buffet and dance lesson. Moms, dads and sons and daughters are welcome.
- Goldsboro's Daddy Daughter Dance is 6 p.m. to 8 p.m., Feb. 7, at Herman Park Center, 901 E. Ash St. Tickets are $5 per person. Girls must be age 4 to 12. Tickets are available Jan. 24.
- Benson Parks and Recreation Department's second annual Daddy Daughter Dance is 7 p.m. to 9 p.m., Feb. 15. Girls ages 5 and up are invited to spend a night with dad, according to its Facebook page. Pre-paid reservation is required. Space is limited. Tickets are $10 for residents and $15 for non-residents. Extra costs for photographers and roses. Registration deadline is Feb. 7. Call 919-894-5117 for more information.