Wilmington, N.C. — Love the Iron Man series? Then take a trip down to the coast and discover locations where the third film was made.
While some of the movie was filmed in Cary at Epic Games and SAS, those locations are not open to the public, and most filming was done at the beach. Besides, it's summer – the perfect time for a road trip!
There are a couple tour companies that offer specific Hollywood-based tours designed to show guests locations around Wilmington that have been featured in movies, such as Iron Man 3, and TV shows like One Tree Hill.
- Cape Fear Segway: Hollywood Segway Tour, $45 (1.5 hours). Film and TV buffs alike will find this tour interesting...and if you can stump the tour guide, a free Italian ice is in your future.
- Hollywood Location Walk, $13 (1.5 hours). Explore some sets and real locations of many TV series and movies filmed in Wilmington.
With A-listers loose in Wilmington during the filming of Iron Man 3, you can bet that everyone took note of where the stars ate, toured and shopped. Now, thanks to meticulous paparazzi work, you can visit those same locations.
- Sir Ben Kingsley, who plays the Mandarin in the movie, took a private tour of the USS North Carolina during filming. It's one of the best-preserved ships from WWII. (Visit: 1 Battleship Rd., Wilmington, NC 28401)
- Both Kingsley and Gwyneth Paltrow (Pepper Potts) ate at Roko Italian Restaurant, which offers delicious Italian cuisine and also has a gluten-free menu. (Visit: 6801-105 Parker Farm Dr., Wilmington, NC 28405)
- Several cast members, including Paltrow, Robert Downey Jr. (Tony Stark), and Jon Favreau (Happy Hogan) ate at Catch, a modern seafood restaurant in Wilmington. They loved it so much that Paltrow asked the chef for a private lesson! (Visit: 6623 Market St., Wilmington, NC, 28405)
- Downey also shopped at Edge of Urge, a boutique in Wilmington, during his stay. The store sells edgy fashions from independent designers. (Visit: 18 Market St., Wilmington, NC 28401)
Some other filming sites include Port City Marina and the State Port shipping yard. These locations have limited public access.
For more information, check out Visit NC's Iron Man 3 page for some useful tips!