Mayberry Days, an annual festival celebrating the anniversary of "The Andy Griffith Show," starts Thursday in downtown Mount Airy.
Events kick off Thursday morning with a golf tournament at Cross Creek Country Club and continue through Sunday.
There are so many events happening there throughout the weekend, we decided to give you a break down of a few of the highlights:
- Thursday 8 p.m. - Beach music from the Tams at Blackmon Amphitheatre. Tickets are $15
- Friday 12:30 p.m. - Don Knotts' daughter, Karen, brings her one-woman show, "Tied Up in Knotts," to the Earle Theatre. Reserved and balcony seats are $15 each.
- Friday 12:30 p.m. - 1:30 p.m. - Snappy Lunch in downtown Mount Airy is hosting a pork chop sandwich eating contest. The record is eight sandwiches. Only those 18 years and older can enter.
- Friday 2:30 p.m. - Pie eating contest in front of the Andy Griffith Playhouse. Register at the Information Station before 2 p.m. Friday to compete. There is a $1 entry fee.
- Friday 4:30 p.m. - Mayberry Days "The Andy Griffith Show" Trivia contest will take place at Blackmon Amphitheatre. To compete, purchase a $2 Trivia Fan at the Information Station in front of the Andy Griffith Playhouse or at the Amphitheatre right before the contest. A youth trivia tournament is happening at 3:30 p.m.
- Friday 4:15 p.m. - James Best, known for playing Jim Lindsey on "The Andy Griffith Show" and Rosco P. Coletrane on the "Dukes of Hazzard," shares his favorite clips from TV and film during a family-friendly show. Tickets are $15.
- Saturday 9 a.m. - The Mayberry Day's parade goes down Main Street from Independence Boulevard to the Andy Griffith Playhouse. Some of the best viewing is supposed to be on the north end of Main Street.
- Saturday 10 a.m. - noon - Silent auction at the Andy Griffith Playhouse featuring unique Mayberry items, including autographed memorabilia.
- Saturday: 7:30 p.m. - David Browning aka "The Mayberry Deputy," along with Allan Newsome, Floyd the Barber and other tribute artists host an evening of Mayberry fun and entertainment at the Andy Griffith Playhouse. Reserved tickets are $25.
- Sunday 9:30 a.m. - Hometown Tribute to Andy Griffith is a celebration of music and praise. Fellow entertainers, friends and fans will remember Andy Griffith and his legacy. This event is free.
There are many more events that we couldn't even list here. Many are free! For a full rundown, go to the Mayberry Days website.