The Durham Convention Center will become a haven for fans of videogames, science fiction, fantasy, comics, music and more during the Escapist Expo Sept. 14-16.
The inaugural event is truly designed to be a celebration of multi-media escapism. Here are some highlights:
- Chest High Walls, a 16 vs. 16 live-action multi-player laser tag competition running all three days. With a badge, you will only pay $5 for each round.
- Magic: The Gathering Charity Tournament to benefit Gamers Helping Gamers, which helps young Magic players afford college.
- Other tournaments: Halo Reach, Gears of War 3, Mortal Kombat, Ghost Recon: Future Soldier, Super Street Fighter 4 Arcade Edition, Virtua Fighter 5: Final Showdown
- Movie night on Friday, Sept. 15 on the lawn of American Tobacco Campus. Enjoy a screening of "Flash Gordon" with commentary from Movie Bob.
- The American Classic Arcade Museum, located in Laconia, N.H., will be bringing up to 30 classic arcade games.
- Humans vs. Zombies, a moderated tag game commonly played on college campuses, will also be happening. Human players will defend themselves with socks and dart blasters to avoid being tagged by the growing zombie horde.
Admission starts at $15 a day, with students, active military and The Escapist Pub Club members getting special discounts. You can upgrade to VIP Access for special opportunities around the show.
Find out more and purchase tickets on the Escapist Expo website.
WRAL.com's parent company Capitol Broadcasting Company is a sponsor of Escapist Expo.