Local News

Elderly couple killed in Hoke house fire

Posted December 23, 2010

Map Marker  Find News Near Me


— A wood heater appears to be the cause of a blaze that killed an elderly couple inside their Red Springs home early Thursday morning, Hoke County authorities said.

Henry Goins Jr., 78, and Elizabeth Goins, 74, died inside their home, at 106 S. Hoke St., shortly before 3 a.m., said Freddy Johnson, director of Hoke County Emergency Management.

Their grandson, Nakoma Goins, 22, who stayed with them, managed to escape by breaking out a window in his bedroom, Johnson said.

Nakoma Goins said he awoke to his grandfather asking about a smell in the house.

"I got up, tried to get out my door and open my door to the hallway,” he said. “Smoke-filled my room. I just went out through the window, and I came running and trying to get to the front window, and I couldn't (save them.)”

Relatives said the couple had lived in the home since the 1960s and had raised 11 children – six of their own and five other nieces and nephews.

“They were loving grandparents,” the couple’s granddaughter, Leigh Brooks said. “They would take anyone in. They took me in.”

They were also ones who always reached out to their neighbors.

“It’s devastating,” the couple’s son-in-law, Willie Jacobs said. “It’s devastating to the family and to the neighbors.”


This story is closed for comments.

Oldest First
View all
  • fireman2240 Dec 23, 2010

    loandab-Your local fire dept. will (or atleast should) be more than happy to give and install detectors for the hard of hearing for FREE...No reason to have to buy them.

  • Twittyfan Dec 23, 2010

    So sad!! God Bless this family and friends...

  • loandab Dec 23, 2010

    For the hard of hearing smoke detectors can not be heard. Fire alarms for the deaf and hard of hearing are not affordable. SEveral hundred dollars for those items. YOu would think they would not be so expensive.

  • shediva Dec 23, 2010

    My grandparents died in a fire together a few years ago. Even years later, it is still hard for me to believe this happened. It's always the thought of it being someone else...not me. At any rate, my heart and prayers are with this family. Hopefully they will stick together and support each other during this time of grief.

  • dimon Dec 23, 2010

    My prayers are with the family!!!!!!

  • bmg379 Dec 23, 2010

    Please have several very loud working smoke detectors in your home and change the batteries.Most fire depts can help you get them installed if you need help.

  • holdeng Dec 23, 2010

    My prayers go out to this family!!

  • RB-1 Dec 23, 2010

    Such a shame, at Christmastime or any other time.

    Praying for the family.

  • elizdial Dec 23, 2010

    I know this family personally. This house fire was very tragic and so close to Christmas. Nakoma, has lost everything, including his car, wallet, and all his money. He is a very active member of his church and a longtime member and Team Captain of Hoke County Relay for Life. Donations are being collected for him at the home of Mark and Kim Gentry located at 1203 N Fulton St, Raeford, NC 28376. God bless you all. Merry Christmas!!

  • _Graysons_Mommy_ Dec 23, 2010

    Prayers for the family, thats just aweful :(